Holy Trinity, Elgin
Trinity Place, Elgin, IV30 1UL
The congregation of Holy Trinity can trace its continuous history from the time of the Revolution.
In 1621 history records that the Reverend John Gordon was deposed from his living for refusing to sign the Covenant. Later, the Reverend Alexander Todd, though legally deprived, continued to officiate. The Episcopalian congregation worshipped in the walled off chancel of the Church of St Giles until after “the 15”, when it gathered in the ancient Greyfriars Church.
It is on record that in 1721 the congregation numbered 800. After ‘‘the 45” Rebellion it shared a priest with the Episcopalian remnant at nearby Duffus. The church still treasures a chalice which dates from this period.
In 1760 a ‘Qualified Chapel’ was opened in Elgin - “Qualified” being the term given to those churches which were exempt from the rigours of the Penal Laws by its recognition of
the Royal House of Hanover which all true Episcopalians could never in conscience do.
In 1800 the two congregations were joined together by the Reverend Hugh Buchan, the “unqualified” priest, in whose time the present Church was built.
The new church as completed in 1826. It was subsequently enlarged in 1852 and again in 1875. The main feature of the church is its Gothic entrance gable. Holy Trinity is the oldest church still in regular use in Elgin.
Regular Service Times
Holy Communion 8.00am. Sung Eucharist 11.00am. Evensong 6.30pm (2nd Sunday of the month: Justice and Peace). Morning Prayer Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri 9.00am, Wed 7.45am. Mid-week Eucharist Tue 9.00am, Wed 8.00am, Fri 11.00am. Evening Prayer Mon 5.45pm (followed by Peace Eucharist), Tue, Wed 5.30pm, Fri 5.15pm. Burghead: Sung Eucharist (2nd Sunday of the month) 3.00pm Church of Scotland Hall.
Rev Christopher G Ketley
Rev Jennifer Sclater
Wheelchair Access; Induction Loop System