St Finnbarr, Dornoch
School Brae, Dornoch, IV25 3PF
From the time of the establishment of Presbyterianism in Scotland and during the period of the Penal Laws which followed, there are no records of Episcopalian services being held in Dornoch. They resumed in 1903 with services being held in a private house.
The dedication to St Finnbarr goes back to the 6th century when St Finnbarr established a monastic settlement in Dornoch.
In 1909 land was given ‘for the building of a Church and Parsonage’. Work began almost immediately to build the church, but the Parsonage is still to be built!
The Church was opened on 3 August 1912, but not consecrated, until it was ‘free from debt’, on 24 August 1913.
St Finnbarr’s Church is also used by the local Roman Catholic congregation.
The font and the church bell came from St Mary’s Church at Highfield (near Dingwall), when it closed in 1966, and the organ came from St Paul’s Church, Strathnairn. The church porch was an addition to the original building in 1969.
Regular Service Times
Tain and Dornoch: 11.00 am First to Fourth Sunday. Fifth Sunday is now a Combined service, details upon request as the location alternates between Dornoch and Tain.
Rev Christopher Mayo
Partial Wheelchair Access; Induction Loop System