St James the Great, Dingwall
Castle Street, Dingwall, IV15 9HU
Episcopalian worship continued in the Dingwall for some time after Presbyterianism became established in Scotland. It was only after the death of the Reverend John MacRae in 1704, that Episcopalians held their services in private houses around the town, until the Chapel in Castle Street was built a century later.
Services began in the new Chapel in 1806. Archdeacon Duncan Mackenzie (know affectionately as “Parson Duncan”) came from St Paul’s at Strathnairn on alternate Sundays.
In 1851 the church, which faced north was demolished, and a new one, facing east, was erected on the same site. The new Gothic church, designed by the influential English architect, J L Pearson, was consecrated in 1854, but survived less than twenty years.
In 1871 it was severely damaged in a great fire which gutted the entire building. Restoration work began immediately and it was rebuilt along the lines of Pearson’s design by Alexander Ross of Inverness.
Around the walls of the church can be seen the Coats of Arms of the seven Dioceses of the Scottish Episcopal Church. The eighth is the Coat of Arms of the whole Church.
Regular Service Times
Holy Eucharist 9.30am or Sung Eucharist 11.00am. Alternating time of service weekly with St Anne's, Strathpeffer. Morning Prayer & Holy Eucharist Wed 10.15am. Please check notice board.
Rev Canon Ian Pallett
Rev Ruth Flockhart
Rev Valerie Saunders
Wheelchair Access; Induction Loop System