St Ninian, Glenurquhart
By Loch Meikle, Glenurquhart, IV63 6TN
St Ninian’s is a small, attractive stone building on the shore of Loch Meiklie in Glen Urquhart. The site was given to the Episcopal Church with the churchyard in 1851.
It was consecrated, being free from debt on St Matthew’s Day 1853 by Bishop Robert Eden. The architect was Dr Alexander Ross who was also architect of the Cathedral and of so many churches in the Diocese. The modem east windows were added in 1985.
Set into the altar is a stone carved with a simple cross which came from the now demolished church at Temple in the mouth of Glen Urquhart. Historians now consider that Temple was the most northerly base of St Ninian, so this very early cross may have been seen by our Patron Saint at the end of the 4th century.
Regular Service Times
Holy Eucharist 11.00am. Holy Eucharist Thurs 11.00am.
Rev Christine Mylne
Wheelchair Access; Induction Loop System.